No One Knows Credit Union Strategy Like Callahan
For over 30 years, Callahan & Associates has built a reputation for delivering insightful keynote speeches, interactive breakout sessions, and productive strategic planning sessions aimed at helping credit union’s and the industry understand their environments through a new lens which enables them to improve their performance and meet their strategic goals.
Our consultants combine Callahan’s robust credit union data resources, years of industry experience, and an unprecedented network of thousands of industry leaders to assist your credit union team with development of strategies that are sure to succeed.
Benefit from the most complete credit union data set in the industry. Our consultants’ leverage the entire suite of Callahan industry and performance data tools and supply customized analytics needed to understand and support your strategic objectives.
Identify the best path forward. Data is just the start, and while the numbers are important they only tell part of the story. Callahan consultants have the expertise and experience to help you drive actionable insights from the data and apply them to your real-world challenges and opportunities.
Implement the right strategy at the right time. Our consultants have access to an unparalleled network of industry leaders which allows us to remain on the leading edge of developments and tactics which bring proven results.
Request More Information
Meet the Callahan Consulting Team
Our speakers and consultants have more than 150 years of combined years in the financial services industry.
- Alix Patterson
- Alix Patterson is a partner at Callahan & Associates and oversees the firm’s Client Success Unit as well as serves on Callahan’s Board of Directors. She is a lifelong credit union member and has more than 17 years of credit union industry experience. Alix has a keen ability to “see the story” within the data, and has a firm grasp on the numbers credit unions need to make important decisions. She is talented at pinpointing strategic patterns and applying her data-grounded insights at both micro and macro levels to guide credit unions’ success. Alix is an accomplished presenter across multiple channels. Whether speaking at industry conferences, moderating strategic planning sessions, facilitating Callahan roundtables, or hosting webinar events, Alix ensures her audiences take away a panoramic view of the issues and actionable insights to respond to them. Prior to joining Callahan, Alix worked in the Washington, DC, research office of the Tokyo Electric Power Company and spent a year coaching the University of Michigan women’s rowing team. She holds a bachelor’s degree in Japanese and political science from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, a master’s degree in international affairs from the School of Advanced International Studies at Johns Hopkins University in Washington, DC, and an MBA with distinction from the University of Oxford SAID Business School in England.
Here are a few of Alix’s topics:
- Use Your Re-imagination
- Strategy & Performance
- Go Tell It On The Mountain
- Credit Unions In The Experience Economy
Partner With Alix
- Jay Johnson
- Jay Johnson is a partner at Callahan & Associates, a respected credit union strategist, and a leading industry voice continuously sought out for his insights. He has more than 22 years of financial industry experience working at top 20 banks and within the credit union industry. Jay’s extensive knowledge and approachable style makes him an outstanding presenter and facilitator. His impactful presentations provide real-world examples of successful strategies, tactics, and programs and deliver a new way of thinking about cooperative benchmarking. Jay’s thought-provoking presentations deliver fresh ideas for creating greater member value, allowing credit union executives to differentiate themselves and placing an emphasis on collaboration among credit unions. Jay also serves as president of Callahan Financial Services, a subsidiary of Callahan & Associates dedicated to expanding credit unions’ investment alternatives. In this role Jay oversees Callahan’s Credit Union Financial Services Limited Partnership (CUFSLP), a multi-owner CUSO that researches credit union business opportunities, and the TRUST for Credit Unions, which supports credit union investments through professionally managed mutual funds. Jay holds a bachelor’s degree in business administration degree from Southern Methodist University in Dallas, TX, and an MBA from the Goizueta Business School at Emory University in Atlanta, GA. He is a CFA Charterholder and holds FINRA license series 7, 24, 27 and 63. Jay also currently serves on the NACUSO Board of Directors.
Here are a few of Jay’s topics:
- Credit Unions’ Strategic Advantage
- Strategy and Performance Analysis
- Best Practices in Lending and Deposit Strategies
- Delivery Channel Management
- Technology Utilization
- Credit Union Investment Strategies: What Can We Learn From the Leaders?
- Callahan’s Trendwatch
Partner With Jay
- Jon Jeffreys
- Jon is the managing partner at Callahan & Associates and the vice president and assistant treasurer for TRUST Mutual Funds. He also serves on the Board of Directors for Callahan & Associates as well as myCUmortgage. Prior to taking the reins as managing partner for Callahan, Jon was responsible for leading sales and marketing for the TRUST Mutual Funds, which supports credit union investments through professionally managed mutual funds. He also was president and CEO of Credit Union Student Choice, a credit union-owned student lending CUSO. Under Jon’s leadership Credit Union Student Choice grew from a startup to originating more than 50,000 loans, representing balances in excess of $1.2 billion while delivering a 50% return on equity to the 230 credit union partners. Jon is a seasoned financial services professional with more than 15 years of credit union industry experience. He has extensive knowledge on the opportunities and challenges faced by the industry and a demonstrated talent for leading successful financial ventures. His proven ability to bring people together for the advancement of shared ideas, coupled with his amicable presentation style, creates the ideal environment for innovation incubation and ideation collaboration. His presentations consistently deliver impactful messages that move credit unions’ towards successful outcomes. Jon earned a bachelor of arts degree in political science from Denison University in Granville, OH, and an MBA from the Kogod School of Management at American University in Washington, DC. He also holds FINRA license series 6 and 63.
Here are a few of Jon’s topics:
- The Tipping Point for the Credit Union Industry
- How to Build Collaborative Networks and Why You Should Care
- Myths and Imperatives of Targeting Gen Y
- Innovation through Collaboration and CUSOs: A Platform for Delivering Member Value.
Partner With Jon
- Scott Patterson
- Scott is a partner at Callahan & Associates and oversees new business development for the firm. He is also the co-founder and president of Credit Union Student Choice (CUSC), a credit union-owned student lending CUSO. Scott has nearly 20 years of credit union industry experience and is deeply passionate about exploring the opportunities credit unions have to better serve their members. He was motivated to start CUSC to meet the need for credit union members to have access to fair-value financial aid through their local credit union. Scott’s drive for best-in-class service strategies has helped tens of thousands of students with their dreams of higher education and the career opportunities that follow. Scott started in the industry as an Internet strategy consultant for the Credit Union Online Organizational Link CUSO in 1996 and moved to Callahan in 1999 to launch CreditUnions.com. Starting in 2007, he led the Callahan analytics department, overseeing the firm’s proprietary financial performance programs Peer-to-Peer and CUAnalyzer.com. He holds a bachelor’s degree in international business and economics with a minor in Chinese language from Trinity University in San Antonio, TX, and an MBA from the University of Oxford’s SAID Business School in England.
Here are a couple of Scott’s topics:
- The Next Generation of Credit Unions
- Performance Metrics for a New Era of Banking
Partner With Scott
- Chip Filson
- Chip Filson is a co-founder of Callahan & Associates and currently serves as the company’s Chairman of the Board. A nationally recognized leader in the credit union industry, Chip is an astute author, frequent speaker, and consultant for the credit union movement. He has more than 40 years of experience in government, financial institutions, and business. Chip’s breadth of experience makes him an authority on a wide range of topics, including analysis of credit union trends, credit union public and market-facing opportunities, and strategies for enhancing member value. Chip’s contributions to the cooperative movement have been demonstrated with his analysis and advocacy for the corporate credit union system, NCUA’s Corporate Stabilization role, and the need for regulatory reform.
He is an avid believer that cooperative principles are a key to credit union success and founded Coops4Change (www.coops4changes.org) to reestablish cooperative principles as the foundation for the credit union regulatory system. Chip has held concurrent positions at the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) as president of the Central Liquidity Facility (CLF) and Director of the Office of Programs, which includes the NCUSIF and the examination process.
Chip holds a magna cum laude undergraduate degree in government from Harvard University. After being awarded a Rhodes Scholarship, he earned a master’s degree in politics, philosophy, and economics from Oxford University in England. He also holds an MBA in management from Northwestern University’s Kellogg School in Chicago.
Partner With Chip
- Chris Howard
Senior Vice President
- Chris Howard, Senior Vice President at Callahan & Associates, directs an array of collaborative innovation initiatives for CUFSLP, Callahan’s partnership with 36 of the nation’s leading credit unions. Chris combines more than a decade of financial services experience with more than 20 years as a strategist, executive coach, and management consultant. He has a background in marketing and communications and has worked as a U.S. Senate staffer and a television producer. During his time in banking and at Freddie Mac, Chris was responsible for strategy, innovation initiatives, business development, and strategic alliances. Chris brings the lessons and insights of his broad experience to thought-provoking presentations that offer new perspectives on traditional issues.
Chris earned his bachelor’s degree cum laude from Princeton University and his master’s degree from the University of Cape Town.
Here are a few of Chris’s topics:
- How Big Data Can Change the Rules
- Building a Culture of Innovation
- Strategic Alignment from the Boardroom to the Member
- Tailoring Strategy to Meet the Mission
Partner With Chris
- Sam Taft
Director of Industry Analysis
- Sam is Director of Industry Analysis at Callahan, where he leads a team of analysts and contributes to the company’s market share guides and white papers, state performance reports, and the Graphic of the Week at CreditUnions.com. Sam’s keen focus on mortgage data and markets makes him a go-to resource for real estate lending trends and forecasts.
Before joining Callahan, Sam worked as an investment banking analyst for Quarton Partners, where he worked across a variety of industries including automotive, consumer, distribution, and packaging. At Quarton he helped execute numerous investment banking assignments, including sell-side and buy-side transactions, recapitalizations, restructurings, and other strategic advisory assignments. Sam graduated with a bachelor’s degree in financial economics from Emory University.
Here are a few of Sam’s topics:
- Data-Driven Research and Analysis
- Customized Reporting and Benchmarking Dashboards
- Strategic Thought Leadership and Market Insights
Partner With Sam